| Notes |
- The youngest of eight children, as his father was before him, Gilbert Cope was born August 17th, 1840, in East Bradford Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, two miles west of West Chester.
Gilbert Cope was fifth in descent from Oliver Cope (c.1647-1697), one of William Penn's First Purchasers in England, who, arriving in Pennsylvania from Abury, Wiltshire, in 1683, settled upon his grant of land, on Naaman's Creek, just over the Circular Line, in New Castle County, present State of Delaware. It was the immigrant's son, John Cope (1691-1773), who established the family in Chester County. He chose a location on the east side of Brandywine Creek, East Bradford Township, where he purchased his land in 1712. There he lived in the employment of farmer and malster. He became a Quaker, in membership with Bradford Meeting. By his wife, Charity Jefferis (1695-1743), daughter of Robert and Jane (Chandler) Jefferis.
Upon the death of his father, Gilbert Cope, in 1872, removed from the farm to West Chester, where he remained for 48 years. Upon his marriage, in 1880, he built a new house at 532 North Church Street. Here he assembled his great and unrivaled genealogical and historical collections and issued the chief of his printed works. For the safety of the most important collections he had a fireproof vault build so as to open into his library. His peculiarly retentive memory of these accumulations, aided by systematic arrangement, in wooden cabinets of his own silful handiwork, made their contents readily available to him.
In 1880 he married Anna Garrett (1848-1918), daughter of David and Mary Ann (Hoopes) Garrett.
Leaving a truly remarkable record of three score and ten years of devotion and contribution in his chosen field, Gilbert Cope, the widely-known Quaker genealogist and local historian, having reached the venerable age of 88 years and 4 months, died December 17th, 1928.
[Extracted from Chester County Historical Society from Publications of The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, Vol. X; No. 3, pp. 242-249, West Chester, Pennsylvania. March, 1929; Research: Elaine Lucas]
|